Power Stealing vs. Hardwired Thermostats, System 2000
HKEK
2003-10-23 20:54:34 UTC
Question #1a: If a thermostat can get its power by "stealing" it from
the traditional 2 leads used by passive thermostats, why do
manufacturers even bother to make hardwired models? Question #1b: What
advantage do they offer? Either one will be upset when the power goes
off.

I have an Energy Kinetics System 2000 boiler that was installed last
spring. I have been using the same 2 thermostats that were installed
with my old boiler. One is a simple bimetallic coil spring unit and
the other is an electronic unit with limited programmability. The
electronic unit is "power stealing".

I want to upgrade to 2 programmable thermostats such as the Honeywell
T8600 Chronotherm IVs. Initially, my thought was to get the "power
stealing" versions. I called the tech support person at Energy
Kinetics and he stressed that I should get battery powered thermostats
because the others do not work as well with the System 2000. Huh? Hope
I haven't voided my warranty!

My system seems to be working fine with what I currently have and the
installer never cautioned me about my existing thermostats. Question
#2: Are the System 2000 folks simply trying to get me to buy their
thermostats?

Question #3: Do the battery powered units actually run off the
batteries or are the batteries only used as backup?

Question #4: Which method of thermostat power is ultimately "the best"
for this system, regardless of cost and the time required to run
additional wiring.

Thanks!
go fish
2003-10-24 03:32:26 UTC
Post by HKEK
Question #1a: If a thermostat can get its power by "stealing" it from
the traditional 2 leads used by passive thermostats, why do
manufacturers even bother to make hardwired models? Question #1b: What
advantage do they offer? Either one will be upset when the power goes
off.
you can't operate 2 or more stages of heating with power stealing
thermostats.
#2: Are the System 2000 folks simply trying to get me to buy their
thermostats?
my crystal ball is cloudy on this question. why don't you ask the system 2000
folks.
Post by HKEK
Question #3: Do the battery powered units actually run off the
batteries or are the batteries only used as backup?
batteries are there to back up the programming in case of loss of system power
Hard wired t-stats use capacitors to back up the programming.
Post by HKEK
Question #4: Which method of thermostat power is ultimately "the best"
for this system, regardless of cost and the time required to run
additional wiring.
Thanks!
try programming a hard wired thermostat when the power is off, or sitting in
your Lazy Boy recliner.
if you're looking for the best, that pretty much excludes honeywell.
profft
HKEK
go fish
2003-10-24 13:45:04 UTC
Post by HKEK
What alternates to Honeywell would you suggest?
personally i like the white rodgers 1F90-371 or the two stage model 1F95-371.

check out the remote sensing / programming capabilities of the 1F95-371

http://www.white-rodgers.com/pdfs/instruction_sheets/0037-6188.pdf
Joseph
2003-10-25 01:02:10 UTC
Post by go fish
Post by HKEK
What alternates to Honeywell would you suggest?
Have to say Honeywell is the best stat on the market, as I've
experienced it. White-Rogers is my second choice and are now about even
with Honeywell. I think the White-Rogers is the bang for your buck stat. I
install them 2 to 1 over everything else. They are "homeowner friendly"
stat, easy to use for most.

Just my thoughts, Joseph
Gary
2003-10-26 03:57:52 UTC
The pros have turned this into a discussion about their favorite
thermostats, and I'm not sure they were addressing whether these are power
stealing or will work with the System 2000.

I'm an electrical engineer, not an HVAC tech, so let me try to give you a
different perspective.

I just had a System 2000 installed in August, I think you've made an
excellent choice, but the System 2000's digital manager is probably not too
familiar to most techs in the field. They see many more plain mechanical
aquastats and relays. I just went through this power stealing thermostat
issue on mine, replacing one of my thermostats with a power stealing model
after the contractor completed the installation (their installation didn't
include new thermostats, I didn't inquire and they didn't offer, so none
were part of the job and they just left my existing ones). I already had a
battery-powered (not power stealing) Honeywell programmable upstairs, but
only a mercury switch mechanical for my finished basement. I decided to
replace the mechanical with a Honeywell CT500 digital non-programmable power
stealing thermostat (didn't need programmability for the basement, but
wanted better temperature control and lower temp range since I don't use
this space much).
Post by HKEK
Question #1a: If a thermostat can get its power by "stealing" it from
the traditional 2 leads used by passive thermostats, why do
manufacturers even bother to make hardwired models? Question #1b: What
advantage do they offer? Either one will be upset when the power goes
off.
Someone else partly answered this, power stealing thermostats only work with
some types of systems (including most 2-wire 24V systems). The advantage is
there are no batteries to change or go dead. The disadvantage is power
stealing thermostats are not compatible with some systems. My CT500
remembers its setting if the power goes out, and since the system can't run
while the power is out, I don't see a problem with this. I'm not sure if
the clock on power stealing programmables keeps running while the power is
out, though.
Post by HKEK
I have an Energy Kinetics System 2000 boiler that was installed last
spring. I have been using the same 2 thermostats that were installed
with my old boiler. One is a simple bimetallic coil spring unit and
the other is an electronic unit with limited programmability. The
electronic unit is "power stealing".
I want to upgrade to 2 programmable thermostats such as the Honeywell
T8600 Chronotherm IVs. Initially, my thought was to get the "power
stealing" versions. I called the tech support person at Energy
Kinetics and he stressed that I should get battery powered thermostats
because the others do not work as well with the System 2000. Huh? Hope
I haven't voided my warranty!
If your contractor left your existing power-stealing thermostat in place I
would think they would be responsible for any damage that it caused.
#2: Are the System 2000 folks simply trying to get me to buy their
thermostats?
You didn't even say the System 2000 folks tried to sell you a thermostat,
just told you not to use a power stealing one. This is where it gets
interesting. I didn't call them, but did check the installation manual that
my contractor left. Page 17 says "A dull yellow light is common with a
power-stealing thermostat. It is not a call for heat", and says this is
"Normal Operation".

I took this to mean I could use a power stealing thermostat, so I installed
one. It turns out the people you talked to were right, it didn't work well.
Power stealing means the thermostat draws a small current to power the
electronics even when it's not calling for heat, and this caused the System
2000 to occasionally think it saw a call for heat, and to switch on
momentarily then turn off again. I got mine to work correctly by adding an
isolation relay, but otherwise you might be better to avoid them. Whether a
particular power stealing thermostat works will depend on how much power it
draws while it's off. If yours also starts and runs the circulator
periodically for no reason I would recommend you not use the thermostat that
is causing this. See below if you want to know more about this.
Post by HKEK
Question #3: Do the battery powered units actually run off the
batteries or are the batteries only used as backup?
My Honeywell CT3600A runs off the batteries, they have to be changed every
year or so. It will eventually flash "Lo Batt", and if you don't change
them, I think it will stop working. I also previously had a power stealing
thermostat (with my old heating system) that had a backup battery used only
when power was out, but this was one of the first programmables and hasn't
been made in years.
Post by HKEK
Question #4: Which method of thermostat power is ultimately "the best"
for this system, regardless of cost and the time required to run
additional wiring.
A battery operated thermostat is easiest, and will work well, provided you
don't mind having to remember to keep good batteries in it to keep the heat
on.
Post by HKEK
Thanks!
More about power stealing thermostats and isolation relays:

Your HVAC contractor may know about isolation relays, or may not. I re-used
an isolation relay that came with my first programmable thermostat for my
new Honewell CT500.

In the beginning, thermostats were just simple "on-off" switches, and they
connected through the coil in a relay on the burner controls to switch the
relay on and off to operate the equipment. When the thermostat is off,
there is no voltage across the relay coil and it turns off. When the
thermostat is on, there is 24V across the relay coil and it activates.

This simple 24V on-off interface has been modified to add various features.

The first modification was actually with mechanical thermostats that have
heat anticipators. These add a resistance heating element to make the
thermostat turn off early. With these, "on" is not really quite fully on,
there may be a few volts drop across the thermostat while it's on (to
operate the small heating element), this is subtracted from what the relay
coil sees. Instead of seeing 24V, the relay may only see 20 or 22V. This
is normally still enough to activate the relay. In fact, relay specs even
account for this, a 24V relay may be guaranteed to turn on with as little as
19V, for example.

Power-stealing thermostats take advantage of this for a different reason,
they still need power while "on", so they also may "steal" a few volts from
the relay coil, expecting it will still operate, so of the 24V supplied by
the power transformer, the thermostat may keep 2 to 4V, and the relay will
see the other 22 or 20V. Like the case of the mechanical thermostat with
the heat anticipator, the relay still activates.

Power stealing thermostats go beyond this, though. They also need power
when they're not calling for heat. To get this, they draw just a little
current while off, but not enough to activate a relay. A 24V relay may be
guaranteed to be off if the voltage across it is less than 7V, for example.
Power stealing thermostats take advantage of this, allowing just a little
current to pass, but not enough to raise the voltage seen by the relay coil
above this threshold. The thermostat gets the power it needs, but the relay
stays off and the heating equipment it controls stays off.

Digital power-stealing thermostats may actually do one more thing, they
assume they'll be connected to a relay, and take advantage of the fact that
relays are mechanical devices, and the thermostat may pulse "on" for just
milliseconds to steal some power, then turn back off before the relay
mechanical components are able to overcome inertia and move to the "on"
position, or while "on" calling for heat they may pulse off for
milliseconds, again to steal power, but remaining on most of the time,
depending on inertia in the relay to keep the contacts from falling open.
This all works, with the assumption that the thermostat actually connects
through a relay with the assumed characteristics that less than 7V is off,
greater than 19V is on, and the relay arm can't move fast enough to respond
to millisecond pulses.

Enter now your System 2000 digital manager. Your thermostat is no longer
operating a relay. It's connected to digital electronics inside the digital
manager. The digital manager may not respond in the same way as a
mechanical relay to the "mostly on" and "mostly off" characteristics of a
power stealing thermostat, and if the thermostat pulses on and off, this may
also confuse the digital manager, because it may not have quite the same
response to this behavior as a mechanical relay.

In fact, this appears to be the case with my power stealing digital
thermostat, when connected directly to the System 2000 it caused the
thermostat light on the digital manager to flicker dimly. I think this
means the power the thermostat is stealing may be pulses, or may be
fluctuating, and every so often this exceeded the digital manager's call for
heat threshold, causing it to turn on. It would then almost immediately
turn back off.

Your heating contractor may be able to supply you with an isolation relay,
so the thermostat is still powered through a relay, and the relay contacts
in turn switch on and off the thermostat connection on your System 2000
digital manager.

In my case, I used a 24V relay not supplied by an HVAC contractor (it came
with an old model power stealing thermostat to be used for precisely this
purpose, but many other 24V relays are compatible). You might be able to
get just a relay from an electronics supply house or HVAC supply house.

You would need a relay with a coil rated for 24V AC. One that should work is
an Omron MY2-AC24(S) that you can get from digi-key (an electronics supply
house), www.digikey.com, as their part number Z184-ND; I'm sure you can find
other sources too. This is a plug-in relay, Omron makes sockets for it if
you can find them (digi-key doesn't seem to carry the convenient screw
terminal ones) but I just soldered wires to the terminals of mine, and used
it without a socket and wired it to a barrier terminal strip that I got from
Radio Shack to use as my wiring junction point. Unless you're comfortable
with soldering, you may have difficulty building your own and making it
mechanically secure with these parts. You can ask your HVAC contractor if
he can help. If you feel competent to try this yourself, read on...

You need to wire from the 24V transformer through the relay coil, through
the thermostat, and back to the other side of the transformer to power the
thermostat and activate the relay. The relay contacts then are used to
connect to the System 2000 digital manager's thermostat connection to supply
it with a clean on-off signal instead of the sloppy "almost on", "almost
off" that the power stealing thermostat provides. The relay's job is to
convert these "almost on", "almost off" inputs to clean on-off signals.

This should be safe, but it's up to you to decide if you want to modify the
wiring to your system 2000 and take the risk that if something goes wrong it
could be your fault and void your warranty. Turn off the power while you do
this, and make your work mechanically secure so there are no dangers of
short circuits, and check your work before powering on.

Disconnect the thermostat wire from A1 and T1 (or T2, etc. depending on
which zone you're modifying) on the System 2000. Connect a wire from A1 on
the System 2000 to one side of the relay coil (pin 13 if you use the above
Omron relay). Connect one of the wires from the thermostat to the other
relay coil pin (pin 14 on the Omron relay), and the other thermostat wire to
A2 on the System 2000 (it doesn't matter which thermostat wire goes to
which). Connect a wire from A1 on the System 2000 to one side of a normally
open relay contact (pin 9 on the Omron relay, or since pin 13 on the Omron
relay also connects to A1, you can also just connect relay pin 9 to pin 13).
Connect another wire from the other relay contact (pin 5 on the Omron relay)
to the System 2000 thermostat input T1 (or T2, etc.). Check your work, and
turn the power on, and your power stealing thermostat should work normally,
and your System 2000 lights should be either fully on or fully off depending
on call for heat, with no dim lights while off.

The above Omron relay has a coil rated 46mA at 24VAC, this is about the same
as the relay I'm using and my thermostat works fine. A direct connection to
the System 2000 would supply about 73mA to the thermostat (I measured the
above with an ammeter on my system). Honeywell doesn't publish specs on how
much current their thermostats require (I imagine it's a fairly wide range
to accomodate different systems), but I'm using a relay that's very similar
to some used in other heating equipment e.g. zone relays, so I think it
should be fine. Mine has been working for a couple of months now.
p***@see_my_sig_for_address.com
2003-10-26 04:03:59 UTC
Post by Gary
The pros have turned this into a discussion about their favorite
thermostats, and I'm not sure they were addressing whether these are power
stealing or will work with the System 2000.
I'm an electrical engineer, not an HVAC tech, so let me try to give you a
different perspective.
I just had a System 2000 installed in August, I think you've made an
excellent choice, but the System 2000's digital manager is probably not too
familiar to most techs in the field. They see many more plain mechanical
aquastats and relays.
Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, none of the
stats discusseed here recently are mechanical. Zero percent of them.

Don't confuse some off-brand equipment like System 2000 with
the general market.

Sounds like they have a design problem that prevents them from
working properly under quite a few circumstances.

New HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's !! http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free demo now available online !!!!
--
Free superheat charts for 38 Ref's online at http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/
My personal site is at http://www.pmilligan.net
Gary
2003-10-26 04:58:06 UTC
Post by p***@see_my_sig_for_address.com
Post by Gary
[...]
Why do you call this off brand? Because it's not the one you sell?

I see time and again someone comes here who bought a stat and can't make it
work with their system (and as often as not, you guys end up insulting the
homemoaner). I don't see what's that unusual about having to select a stat
that's compatible with a particular system.
p***@see_my_sig_for_address.com
2003-10-26 05:06:16 UTC
Post by Gary
Post by p***@see_my_sig_for_address.com
Don't confuse some off-brand equipment like System 2000 with
the general market.
Sounds like they have a design problem that prevents them from
working properly under quite a few circumstances.
Why do you call this off brand? Because it's not the one you sell?
Seeing as I don't sell any - hardly.

Compared to 'major brands' - this 'System 2000' certainly
seems to be an 'off brand'. Unless it's a product from a well known
name, I never heard of it. That makes it 'off brand', because I've at
least heard of just about everything, and worked on most of it, too.
Post by Gary
I see time and again someone comes here who bought a stat and can't make it
work with their system (and as often as not, you guys end up insulting the
homemoaner).
As often as not they're asking stupid questions rather than
intelligent ones, as often as not they're trying to save money with
some crap they bought at HD, and as often as not they pick up an
attitude problem within the first two posts.

Thusly, they earn insults.
Post by Gary
I don't see what's that unusual about having to select a stat
that's compatible with a particular system.
If it's a question of 'the system won't even handle a regular
routine everyday stat', then that's unusual.

If the system thinks a tiny little current draw ( as to power
the stat ) between R & C is a call for heat, that's fucked up.

Do you work for them, that you're getting so defensive about
it ?

Gary
2003-10-26 05:14:18 UTC
Post by Gary
I don't see what's that unusual about having to select a stat
that's compatible with a particular system.
If it's a question of 'the system won't even handle a regular
routine everyday stat', then that's unusual.
If the system thinks a tiny little current draw ( as to power
the stat ) between R & C is a call for heat, that's fucked up.
Do you work for them, that you're getting so defensive about
it ?
No, I don't work for them, just a customer. Just getting a little defensive
because you're calling this system that I just paid a lot of money for,
'fucked up'.
kjpro
2003-10-26 05:17:53 UTC
Post by Gary
No, I don't work for them, just a customer. Just getting a little defensive
because you're calling this system that I just paid a lot of money for,
'fucked up'.
So, we see people buying fucked up shit everyday!

What makes you any different?? :-)

--
kjpro
_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>

( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail

Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!

_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>
p***@see_my_sig_for_address.com
2003-10-26 05:48:27 UTC
Post by Gary
Post by p***@see_my_sig_for_address.com
Do you work for them, that you're getting so defensive about
it ?
No, I don't work for them, just a customer. Just getting a little defensive
because you're calling this system that I just paid a lot of money for,
'fucked up'.
Fair enough.

Now I see from another post that it's a model from Energy
Kinetics.

Now, that's an off brand, sorry. It's not Trane, Carrier,
Lennox, Rheem, Ruud, WeilMclain, Peerless, Buderus, it's not any of
the well known names.

That doesn't mean it's bad, that means exactly what I said -
it's an off brand. I am not familiar with their products first-hand.
Based on what is presented on their website, they seem to have some
interesting offerings. I do not know how they compare to their
competition ( some of which are mentioned above ). I do know that
others have been using similar approaches ( low mass ) for years and
years.

Now, as to the stat thing, and 'power stealing' - my comments
stand. If this sytem interprets a little stat-maintainence current
between R & C as 'call for heat', that's fucked up. That's a design
problem. Because R & C do not represent a heat call ( or any other
call ).

The questions you see here about stats and compatibility are (
whtehr the poster realizes it or not ), about stat-related topics
other than 'power stealing' ( a somewhat derogatory sounding term I
never cared for ).

And I do think that, seeing as you are not in the field and
have no knowledge of what 'most techs see every day', you should not
be attempting to quantify and extrapolate your thoughts on that
subject, and you should not present your lack of knowledge as 'facts'.

Truth be told, you have no earthly idea what 'most techs see
every day', nor 'what is common pracice in thermostats'.

Gary
2003-10-26 06:40:33 UTC
Post by Gary
[...]
If you mean uncommon, I know it's not the most common system. But to me,
'off brand' also means cheap, which this isn't, but I guess that's not what
you meant by 'off brand'.

I also never said anything about current between R & C, it's between R & W,
connected as in figure 5 here:
http://hbctechlit.honeywell.com/techlit/PDF/69-0000s/69-1525.pdf. There
isn't even any C on this stat.

I'm just a bit disappointed that some power-stealing stats don't work well
with this system, but as I pointed out for the original poster, they can be
used if an isolating relay is used. Even so, I still am happy with the
system, I think it has enough other positives that I would still choose it
again.
kjpro
2003-10-26 06:51:24 UTC
Post by Gary
I also never said anything about current between R & C, it's between R & W,
http://hbctechlit.honeywell.com/techlit/PDF/69-0000s/69-1525.pdf. There
isn't even any C on this stat.
What he's talking about is,
that most stats that are powered from the heating device have a "C"
connection.
(for the common side of the transformer)

That way the minimal current is not on the R & W leads.
(like the cheap Honeywell stats do)

I do not like the power stealing stats,
(that use the R & W terminals)
they can cause to many problems.

--
kjpro
_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>

_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>
profft
2003-10-26 21:21:34 UTC
Not exactly, they use the z (impedence) of the coil not being used as
common, thats why a T8602 (energy leech or not) does not require a common
wire to function. Now I once came across a boiler system where the moaner
took his T87F off and installed a T8602 power leech, he had 3 statwires,
Red, White, and Green, so he put the green on the G terminal and grounded
the other end to the boiler. It actually worked quite well until someone
switched it to cool, after that it didnt work so well when the smoke got
out. Cooked the 20VA on his R845 too. Don't you just luv them DIY's?
_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>
profft
Gary
2003-10-26 22:56:08 UTC
Who said I was pissed?
Noon-Air
2003-10-26 23:18:42 UTC
Post by Gary
Post by profft
So your pissed because you got soaked, I guess if someone sold Yugo for
Lexus money I would be pissed off too.
Who said I was pissed?
its better to be pissed off than pissed on....unless you are into that sort
of thing. :p
CBHvac
2003-10-30 05:43:10 UTC
Post by Gary
I see time and again someone comes here who bought a stat and can't
make
it
Post by Gary
I don't see what's that unusual about having to select a stat
that's compatible with a particular system.
If it's a question of 'the system won't even handle a regular
routine everyday stat', then that's unusual.
If the system thinks a tiny little current draw ( as to power
the stat ) between R & C is a call for heat, that's fucked up.
Do you work for them, that you're getting so defensive about
it ?
No, I don't work for them, just a customer. Just getting a little defensive
because you're calling this system that I just paid a lot of money for,
'fucked up'.
First, depends on what you call alot of money.
Second, we see fucked up shit that people paid alot of money for every day.
Third, they normally spend alot more money to get it fixed...

Now...Pauls making a good point, and while we see yours as well, to a
degree, its not our fault that people think that just because they paid alot
for it, they got what they paid for...A T87F can control some of these
hacked in messes better than the $275 C3 sitting on the wall..

System 2000?? WTF is that?
kjpro
2003-10-26 05:16:19 UTC
Do you work for them, that you're getting so defensive about it ?
Check this out:

http://energykinetics.com/pdf/Position%20Paper%20Cast%20Iron.pdf

Home page:

http://www.energykinetics.com/
And it's highly recommended by BOB VILA!! lol
(a highly knowledgeable contracting blowhard) :-)

--
kjpro
_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>

_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>
p***@see_my_sig_for_address.com

profft
2003-10-26 21:37:38 UTC
Well if you've never tried to clean one of those fuckers before your in for
a real treat, you'll never get it apart without loseing major chunks of
insulation, got about 40 phillips screws that just love to rustweld and
round out. Once you get the spine fluted tubes clean then the real fun
starts trying to get all the screw holes to line back up. Did I mention the
part about the insulation turning to powder and chunks when you touch it?.
_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>
Steve Scott
2003-10-26 22:11:06 UTC
That's why I like the Buderus 115 series. Two bolts and the swing
door opens giving you access to all the flue passages. We can clean
one of these in about the same amount of time it takes to bring the
vac in the basement.
_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>
Gary
2003-10-26 22:56:21 UTC
Post by profft
Well if you've never tried to clean one of those fuckers before your in for
a real treat, you'll never get it apart without loseing major chunks of
insulation, got about 40 phillips screws that just love to rustweld and
round out. Once you get the spine fluted tubes clean then the real fun
starts trying to get all the screw holes to line back up. Did I mention the
part about the insulation turning to powder and chunks when you touch it?.
This one has a swing door on the front with 3 bolts, there are no phillips
screws you need to take out for cleaning and no spine fluted tubes (no tubes
of any kind). Don't know how the insulation will hold up. Are you sure
you're talking about the same boiler? Or maybe an older model? Their older
model cleaned from the back instead of the front.
Tekkie
2003-10-28 02:07:37 UTC
profft posted for all of us....
Post by profft
Well if you've never tried to clean one of those fuckers before your in for
a real treat, you'll never get it apart without loseing major chunks of
insulation, got about 40 phillips screws that just love to rustweld and
round out. Once you get the spine fluted tubes clean then the real fun
starts trying to get all the screw holes to line back up. Did I mention the
part about the insulation turning to powder and chunks when you touch it?.
What was the insulation made from? Paper mache'
--
Tekkie

Politicians & diapers are filled with it & both should be changed regularly.
profft
2003-10-28 04:10:46 UTC
Some kind of compacted fiberous asbestos like material only not as good.
Post by Tekkie
profft posted for all of us....
kjpro
2003-10-26 05:08:20 UTC
Post by Gary
Why do you call this off brand? Because it's not the one you sell?
And if you knew pjm,

He offers advice and knowledge..............
..................and doesn't sell stats anymore!!
Post by Gary
I see time and again someone comes here who bought a stat and can't make it
work with their system (and as often as not, you guys end up insulting the
homemoaner). I don't see what's that unusual about having to select a stat
that's compatible with a particular system.
Not unusual..............just that MOST HO can't do it properly!
(and end up costing themselves more money in the long run)
--
kjpro
_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>

_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>
Joseph
2003-10-26 14:25:36 UTC
Power stealing stats have been around a long time, the first time I had
this problem was with some Rheem pkg units. Plug the White-Rogers 1F80 into
its sub-base and bam continuous fan. Then came the memo to use iso relays.
My question is that with all these intelligent engineering types how did
they miss that one???

Joseph
_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>
kjpro
2003-10-26 16:40:27 UTC
Post by Joseph
Power stealing stats have been around a long time, the first time I had
this problem was with some Rheem pkg units. Plug the White-Rogers 1F80 into
its sub-base and bam continuous fan. Then came the memo to use iso relays.
My question is that with all these intelligent engineering types how did
they miss that one???
Joseph
There you go again..........

Asking a question with the word engineer in the mix. And "intelligent" too??

LOL :-)

Do you really need an answer? :-)

--
kjpro
_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>

_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>
HKEK
2003-10-27 13:41:15 UTC
Thanks so much for your response, things seem to be getting clearer.

Although I have not beeen able to confirm this information via
Honeywell's web site (I'll probably call their tech support people
this week) here is the understanding that I am coming to:

1. Power stealing t-stats: There is small amount of current draw
through the 2 t-stat wires even when there is no call for heat (or
cooling).

2. Battery powered t-stats: There is NO current draw (resistance =
infinite) through the 2 t-stat wires when there is no call for heat
(or cooling).

3. Hardwired t-stats: Same as battery powered, i.e., NO current draw
through the 2 t-stat wires when there is no call for heat (or
cooling).

If the above is accurate, and if the Energy Manager on the System 2000
does not like to see any current draw when there is no call for heat,
then either the hardwired or the battery powered t-stats would be
appropriate (the tech guy at EK said only to use battery powered). The
battery powered t-stat looks more attractive because, even though I
dread continually changing batteries for the life of these units, I
WILL NOT HAVE ANOTHER DEVICE IN MY HOUSE THAT REQUIRES THE CLOCK TO BE
RESET AFTER A POWER OUTAGE!

I searched through my System 2000 documentation and the only thing
that I could find relating to thermostats was a table indicating that
the system uses "conventional" thermostats. They should have defined
"conventional". By "conventional" they could have meant passive
(non-powered) thermostats which simply consist of a bi-metallic
element that opens and closes a set of contacts. OTOH, they could have
meant just about any thermostat commonly found on the shelves of Home
Depot. But in the year 2003 (when my system was installed) they could
have meant programmable thermostats, which raises the issue of battery
vs. hardwire, vs. power stealing.

Considering the old t-stats with anticipator circuits -- I knew that
they drew some current to operate the anticipator but I glossed over
the fact that this only takes place while there is a call for heat. So
they operate more like the battery powered or hardwired t-stats in
that there is NO current draw through the wires when there is no call
for heat.

I am considering your approach of adding isolation relays. I too am an
engineer (welding) and have no problem with wiring and especially no
problem with soldering! This is a good alternative to running new
wires to the t-stats which would be required with hardwired models.
But I would still have issues with power outages.

May I contact you again if I decide to go with isolation?

Thanks again for your time.
Gary
2003-10-31 21:59:07 UTC
Post by HKEK
Post by HKEK
I am considering your approach of adding isolation relays. I too am an
engineer (welding) and have no problem with wiring and especially no
problem with soldering! This is a good alternative to running new
wires to the t-stats which would be required with hardwired models.
But I would still have issues with power outages.
May I contact you again if I decide to go with isolation?
Sure. If I don't see your post here, contact me by email (the from address
on this post is slightly garbled to confuse the spam address collectors...
move the .net in my address to the end).